Unit 116. As (As I walked along the street... / As I was hungry ...)
|As = at the same time as|
You can use as when two things happen at the same time:
• We all waved goodbye to Liz as she drove away. (We waved and she drove away at the same time)
• I watched her as she opened the letter.
• As I walked along the street, I looked in the shop windows.
• Can you turn off the light as you go out, please?
Or you can say that something happened as you were doing something else (in the middle of doing something else):
• Kate slipped as she was getting off the bus.
• We met Paul as we were leaving the hotel.
For the past continuous (was getting / were going etc.), see Unit 6.
You can also use just as (= exactly at that moment):
• Just as I sat down, the phone rang.
• I had to leave just as the conversation was getting interesting.
We also use as when two things happen together in a longer period of time:
As also means 'because':
• As I was hungry, I decided to find somewhere to eat. (= because I was hungry)
• As it was a public holiday last Thursday, most of the shops were shut. (= because it was a public holiday)
• As we have plenty of time before our flight, let's go and have a coffee.
• Yesterday we watched television all evening as we didn't have anything better to do.
• As I don't often watch television any more, I've decided to give my TV set to a friend of mine.
You can also use since in this way:
• Since we have plenty of time, let's go and have a coffee.
Compare as and when:
| • I couldn't contact David as he was away on holiday and he doesn't have a mobile phone.|
(= because he was away)
| • David's passport was stolen when he was away on holiday.|
(= during the time he was away)
| • As they lived near us, we used to see them quite often. |
(= because they lived near us)
| • When they lived near us, we used to see them quite often. |
(= at the time they lived near us)
Key.2 We all smiled as we posed for the photograph.
3 I burnt myself as I was taking a hot dish out of the oven.
4 The crowd cheered as the two teams ran onto the field.
5 A dog ran out in front of the car as we were driving along the road.
2 we all smiled
3 I burnt myself
4 the crowd cheered
5 a dog ran out in front of the car
we were driving along the road
I was taking a hot dish out of the oven
we posed for the photograph
the two teams ran onto the field
Key.2 As it was a nice day, we went for a walk by the sea.
3 As we didn't want to wake anybody up, we came in very quietly.
4 As the door was open, I went in.
5 As none of us had a watch, we didn't know what time it was.
2 it was a nice day
3 we didn't want to wake anybody up
4 the door was open
5 none of us had a watch
I went in
we came in very quietly
we didn't know what time it was
we went for a walk by the sea
4 at the same time as
5 at the same time as
1 As they live near me, I see them quite often. because
2 Kate slipped as she was getting off the bus. at the same time as
3 As I was tired, I went to bed early. __________________
4 Unfortunately, as I was parking the car, I hit the car behind. __________________
5 As we climbed the hill, we got more and more tired. __________________
6 We decided to go out to eat as we had no food at home. __________________
7 As we don't use the car very often, we've decided to sell it. __________________
4 when I was asleep on the beach
5 When I left school
7 when I was a child
|1 Julia got married as she was 22. |
2 As the day went on, the weather got worse.
3 He dropped the glass as he was taking it out of the cupboard.
4 My camera was stolen as I was asleep on the beach.
5 As I left school, I went to work in a shop.
6 The train slowed down as it approached the station.
7 I used to live near the sea as I was a child.
When she was 22
1 I saw you as you were getting into your car.
2 It started to rain just as we started playing tennis.
3 As I didn't have enough money for a taxi, I had to walk home.
4 Just as I took the photograph, somebody walked in front of the camera.
1 I saw you as _________________________
2 It started to rain just as _________________________
3 As I didn't have enough money for a taxi, _________________________
4 Just as I took the photograph, _________________________
| ||Unit 115 Unit 116 Unit 117|| |
Английский язык самостоятельное изучение бесплатно с english-cards.ru - сегодня это реальность. Правильно организуйте свои занятия, выберите подходящую методику обучения – и ваше обучение может превратиться в хобби.