Unit 139. Phrasal verbs 3. Out
out = not burning, not shining
put out a fire / a cigarette / a light
turn out a light
blow out a candle
| • Suddenly all the lights in the building went out.|
• We managed to put the fire out.
• I turned the lights out before leaving.
• We don't need the candle. You can blow it out.
work out = do physical exercises
• Rachel works out at the gym three times a week.
work out = develop, progress
• Good luck for the future. I hope everything works out well for you.
• A: Why did James leave the company?
B: Things didn't work out. (= things didn't work out well)
work out (for mathematical calculations)
• The total bill for three people is £84.60. That works out at £28.20 each.
work something out = calculate, think about a problem and find the answer
• 345 x 76? I need to do this on paper. I can't work it out in my head.
Other verbs + out
carry out an order / an experiment / a survey / an investigation / a planetc.
• Soldiers are expected to carry out orders.
• An investigation into the accident will be carried out as soon as possible.
fall out (with somebody) = stop being friends
• They used to be very good friends. I'm surprised to hear that they have fallen out.
• David fell out with his father and left home.
find out that/what/when ... etc., find out about something = get information
• The police never found out who committed the murder.
• I've just found out that it's Helen's birthday today.
• I called the tourist office to find out about hotels in the town.
give/hand things out = give to each person
• At the end of the lecture, the speaker gave out information sheets to the audience.
point something out (to somebody) = draw attention to something
• As we drove through the city, our guide pointed out all the sights.
• I didn't realise I'd made a mistake until somebody pointed it out to me.
run out (of something)
• We ran out of petrol on the motorway. (= we used all our petrol)
sort something out = find a solution to, put in order
• There are a few problems we need to sort out.
• All these papers are mixed up. I'll have to sort them out.
turn out to be ... / turn out good/nice etc. / turn out that ...
• Nobody believed Paul at first, but he turned out to be right. (= it became clear in the end that he was right)
• The weather wasn't so good in the morning, but it turned out nice later.
• I thought they knew each other, but it turned out that they'd never met.
try out a machine, a system, a new idea etc. = test it to see if it is OK
• The company is trying out a new computer system at the moment.
Which words can go together? Choose from the box.
Key.2 a mistake
3 a candle
4 an order
5 a cigarette / a candle
6 a new product
7 a mess
a candle a cigarette
2 point out _________________
3 blow out _________________
4 carry out _________________
5 put out _________________
6 try out _________________
7 sort out _________________
Complete each sentence using a verb + out.
Key.2 works out
3 carried out
4 ran out
5 sort out
6 fid out
1 tried out
8 pointed out
9 work out
10 went out
11 turned out
12 works out
13 find out
14 put out
1 The company is trying out a new computer system at the moment.
2 Steve is very fit. He does a lot of sport and _________________ regularly.
3 The road will be closed for two days next week while building work is _________________.
4 We didn't manage to discuss everything at the meeting. We _________________ of time.
5 You have to _________________ the problem yourself. I can't do it for you.
6 I phoned the station to _________________ what time the train arrived.
7 The new drug will be _________________ on a small group of patients.
8 I thought the two books were the same until a friend of mine _________________ the difference.
9 They got married a few years ago but it didn't _________________, and they separated.
10 There was a power cut and all the lights _________________.
11 We thought she was American at first, but she _________________ to be Swedish.
12 Sometimes it _________________ cheaper to eat in a restaurant than to cook at home.
13 I haven't applied for the job yet. I want to _________________ more about the company first.
14 It took the fire brigade two hours to _________________ the fire.
|For each picture, complete the sentence using a verb + out.|
Key.2 giving/handing out
3 turned out nice/fine/sunny
4 fallen out
5 to sort out / sorting out the post / the mail
6 work out how to use the camera / her new camera
Complete the sentences. Each time use a verb + out.
Key.2 try it out
3 work it out
4 sorted it out
1 A: Shall I leave the light on?
B: No, you can turn it out .
2 A: This recipe looks interesting.
B: Yes, let's _______________________.
3 A: How much money do I owe you exactly?
B: Just a moment. I'll have to _______________________.
4 A: What happened about your problem with your bank?
B: It's OK now. I went to see them and we _______________________.
| ||Unit 138 Unit 139 Unit 140|| |
Отдых в Подмосковье скрасит ваш отпуск, ведь это самое лучшее место для отдыха в России. Дома отдыха в Подмосковьевыбраные на www.pdmsk.ru приятно удивят Вас и Ваших близких развитой инфраструктурой, и живописной природой. Отдыхайте со вкусом!