Unit 140. Phrasal verbs 4. On / off (1)
Unit 140; Part A
On and off for lights, machines etc.
We say: the light is on / put the light on / leave the light on etc. turn the light on/off or switch the light on/off
• Shall I leave the lights on or turn them off?
• 'Is the heating on?' 'No, I switched it off.'
• We need some boiling water, so I'll put the kettle on.
Also put on some music / a CD / a video etc.
• I haven't listened to this CD yet. Shall I put it on?
Unit 140; Part B
On and off for events etc.
go on = happen
• What's all that noise? What's going on? (= what's happening)
call something off = cancel it
• The open air concert had to be called off because of the weather.
put something off, put off doing something = delay it
• The wedding has been put off until January.
• We can't put off making a decision. We have to decide now.
Unit 140; Part C
On and off for clothes etc.
put on clothes, glasses, make-up, a seat beltetc.
• My hands were cold, so I put my gloves on.
Also put on weight = get heavier
• I've put on two kilograms in the last month.
try on clothes (to see if they fit)
• I tried on a jacket in the shop, but it didn't fit me very well.
take off clothes, glasses etc.
• It was warm, so I took off my jacket.
Unit 140; Part D
Off = away from a person or place
be off (to a place)
• Tomorrow I'm off to Paris / I'm off on holiday. (= I'm going to Paris / I'm going on holiday)
walk off / run off / drive off / ride off / go off (similar to walk away / run away etc.)
• Diane got on her bike and rode off.
• Mark left home at the age of eighteen and went off to Canada.
set off = start a journey
• We set off very early to avoid the traffic. (= We left early)
take off = leave the ground (for planes)
• After a long delay the plane finally took off.
see somebody off = go with them to the airport/station to say goodbye
• Helen was going away. We went to the station with her to see her off.
Complete the sentences using put on + the following:
Key.2 put the heating on
3 put the oven on
4 put the kettle on
5 put a CD on
a CD the heating the kettle
2 It was getting cold, so I _________________.
3 I wanted to bake a cake, so I _________________.
4 I wanted to make some tea, so I _________________.
5 I wanted to listen to some music, so I _________________.
Complete the sentences. Each time use a verb + on or off.
Key.2 going on
3 take off
4 switched off / turned off
5 drove off / went off
6 put on
7 set off/be off
8 put off
9 called off
10 put on
11 see me off
1 It was warm, so I took off my jacket.
2 What are all these people doing? What's _____________________?
3 The weather was too bad for the plane to _____________________, so the flight was delayed.
4 I didn't want to be disturbed, so I _____________________ my mobile phone.
5 Rachel got into her car and _____________________ at high speed.
6 Tim has _____________________ weight since I last saw him. He used to be quite thin.
7 A: What time are you leaving tomorrow?
B: I'm not sure yet, but I'd like to _____________________ as early as possible.
8 Don't _____________________ until tomorrow what you can do today.
9 There was going to be a strike by bus drivers, but now they have beenoffered more money and the strike has been _____________________.
10 Are you cold? Shall I get you a sweater to _____________________?
11 When I go away, I prefer to be alone at the station or airport. Idon't like it when people come to _____________________ me_____________________.
|Look at the pictures and complete the sentences.|
Key.2 took off
3 tried on a/the hat or tried a/the hat on
4 was called off
5 see him off
6 put them on
| ||Unit 139 Unit 140 Unit 141|
Итак, вы наконец-то приобрели земельный участок, и следующей проблемой, которую вам необходимо решить, будет вопрос выбора проектировщика и строительной компании. Посвятите строительство дома компании www.nationalconstruction.ru.